Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Oven Cleaner

My preferred method of cleaning my oven consists of two steps
1) push that magical button that says self cleaning
2) 24 hours later wipe up the left over ashes

 You can see it's pretty difficult and time consuming for me *insert serious sarcasm*

But I read on the Internet (so it must be true) that using the self cleaning option takes years off your oven.  Years off my oven?  Does that mean it will turn into a wood burning stove? ba dum bum

So I thought I would try a new cleaning method and hoped it wouldn't require to much effort

Non-Toxic Homemade Oven Cleaner
  • 1 Tbsp borax
  • 1/2 c. vinegar
  • 1/8 c. dish soap
  • 1 c. boiling water
Combine everything in a spray bottle and shake well.  Sprinkle the inside of your oven with baking soda. Spray a thick layer of the oven cleaner all around your oven. Thick, thick layer. Sprinkle with baking soda. Leave overnight, and scrub out in the morning with a hot, wet rag.

 A word to the wise..... or the not thinking clearly.  Boiling water melts plastic, don't pour boiling water into a plastic spray bottle, unless you want to throw that bottle away and spend the next 10 minutes digging through every cupboard in your house trying to find a new one.

Eventually I had my ingredients and I had my messy oven


I sprinkled on the baking soda then I sprayed and sprayed and sprayed some more.  It bubbled a little bit, but that was to be expected. 

 I poured some more baking soda on top of the liquid, shut the oven door and crawled into bed. 


The next morning I grabbed a rag, soaked it with hot water and started to scrub.

The Verdict: Wow! Look at that shine spot.  My rag got a little bit dirty, that was it.  Pretty disappointing.  Oh well, time to use my magical self cleaning button.